Skip to main content

Search parliament.uk

About 234000 results (page 1 of 11700)
Obesity statistics - House of Commons Library
Commons library
The Health Survey for England 2021 estimates that 25.9% of adults in England are obese and a further 37.9% are overweight but not obese. Obesity is usually defined as having a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or above. BMI between 25 and 30 is classified as ‘overweight’. The survey, published in December 2022, found that men are more likely than ...
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03336/
Obesity policy in England - House of Commons Library
Commons library
The Health Survey for England, published by NHS Digital, provides estimates of obesity levels based on the body mass index (BMI) of a representative sample of people aged 16+. In the 2021 survey, 25.9% of adults in England were obese and a further 37.9% were overweight, making a total of 63.8% who were either overweight or obese.
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9049/
Body Mass Index as a medical guideline - House of Lords Library
Body Mass Index is a measurement used globally to assess a person’s body size. Health professionals have said it is a quick and cheap way to make estimations about an individual’s potential risk of disease or poor health, but that it is more effective when used alongside other measurements. Concerns have recently been raised about the use of BMI as a barrier to treatment for eating disorders.
https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/body-mass-index-as-a-medical-guideline/
12 January 2023 Obesity statistics
pdf
urvey was based on measured data.1In the 2021 survey, 25.9% of adults in England were obese and a further 37.9% were overweight, making a total of 63.8% w. o were either overweight or obese. Men were more likely than women to be overweight or obese (68.6% of. men compared with 59.0% of women).Out. 259 are obese.
https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN03336/SN03336.pdf
Changing the perfect picture: an inquiry into body image
BMI inspires weight stigma, contributes to eating disorders, and disrupts people’s body image and mental health. Public Health England should stop using BMI as a measure of individual health, and instead focus on a ‘Health at Every Size’ approach. The Government’s latest Obesity Strategy is at best ineffective and at worst perpetuating
https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/5357/documents/53751/default/
Government approach to negative body image ‘dangerous’
Instead, the Committee calls for the use of BMI to be stopped and for the adoption of a 'Health at Every Size' approach which prioritises health lifestyle choices over correcting weight. The report branded the Government's Obesity Strategy as 'dangerous' for people with negative body image, potentially triggering eating disorders in the people it is designed to help.
https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/328/women-and-equalities-committee/news/153711/government-approach-to-negative-body-image-dangerous/
Research Briefing
pdf
1.1 Measuring obesity - body mass index (BMI) 11 1.2 What causes obesity? 12 2 Is the UK facing an obesity epidemic? 17 2.1 Adult obesity in England 17 2.2 Childhood obesity in England 20 2.3 Cost of obesity 22 2.4 Diet and exercise habits in England 23 3 Medical treatments for obesity 24 3.1 Background 24
https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-9049/CBP-9049.pdf
Obesity - House of Commons Library
Commons library
Obesity. Research Briefing. Published Thursday, 28 April, 2011. Research Briefing. Health. Health services. Louise Smith. This note sets out the definition and causes of obesity, the health problems caused by obesity, recent government policy on the issue and related statistics.
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03724/
Written statements - Written questions, answers and statements - UK ...
The 2019 Health Survey for England estimated that over 12 million adults were living with obesity – 28% of the population in England. Tackling obesity, which increases the risk of a range of serious and chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes, remains a key priority. The Government is announcing that up to £40 million of ...
https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-statements/detail/2023-06-07/hcws831
Tackling obesity: empowering adults and children to live healthier lives
pdf
checking your BMI through the NHS BMI tool. If you are overweight, you can start your weight loss journey with the free NHS 12-week weight loss plan app. The campaign aims to reach millions of people who need to lose weight, encouraging them to make behaviour changes to eat better and move more to prevent or delay the onset of serious diseases.
https://qna.files.parliament.uk/qna-attachments/1241957/original/Tackling%20obesity.%20Empowering%20adults%20and%20children%20to%20live%20healthier%20lives%2027%207%2020.pdf
Changing the perfect picture: an inquiry into body image: Government ...
BMI ranges and thresholds are based on long term studies of several million people from a wide range of backgrounds. 5 It is recognised as the most practical and reliable population wide measure for assessing future risk of illness and to prevent health problems from arising. 35. Different people are affected by obesity at different BMIs.
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5802/cmselect/cmwomeq/359/35902.htm
Childhood Obesity
pdf
aged 4–5 years with a BMI indicating obesity was 10% in 2006-07 and 2019-20, and rose in children aged 10–11 years from 18% in 2006-07 to 21% in 2019-20.13,14 Box 1: Body Mass Index (BMI) and children’s weight Calculating BMI in children takes account of their growth and development.15 In the NCMP, BMI is adjusted for age and
https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/POST-PN-0640/POST-PN-0640.pdf
Childhood Obesity - POST
Childhood Obesity (518 KB , PDF) The latest data from 2019-20 reported that at the end of primary school, 35% of children aged 10-11 years are living with overweight or obesity and 21% are living with obesity. The Government’s obesity strategy seeks to halve the prevalence of childhood obesity by 2030, with a focus on encouraging individual ...
https://post.parliament.uk/research-briefings/post-pn-0640/
Changing the perfect picture: an inquiry into body image - Women and ...
BMI should be abandoned as a measure and all GPs and health professionals should receive training on Health At Every Size. (Woman 35–44) 81. 35. Throughout our inquiry, we heard criticism of the use of BMI as a measure of health. Dr Solmi of UCL University College London (UCL) told us that BMI is a very poor proxy of health for several ...
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5801/cmselect/cmwomeq/274/27407.htm
CHILDHOOD OBESITY - UK Parliament
pdf
Box 1 Body mass index (bmi), overweight and obesity. Obesity and overweight are defined using body mass index: bmi=bodyweight (kilogrammes) / (height [metres])2. Adults. For adults, the cut off points used are: bmi <20, a person is underweight; bmi 20-25 is the desirable or healthy range; bmi 25-30 is classified as overweight; and bmi 30+ is ...
https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/post/pn205.pdf
House of Commons - Childhood obesity-brave and bold action - Health ...
15-16 Session Commons publication
SACN concluded that “the higher the proportion of sugar in the diet, the greater the risk of high energy intake” and that “drinking high-sugar beverages results in weight gain and increases in BMI in teenagers and children.” 13 14 Sugar-sweetened drinks account for 29% of sugar consumption amongst children of 11–18 years, and around ...
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201516/cmselect/cmhealth/465/46504.htm
Tackling childhood obesity: What is the strategy?
The Government’s new obesity strategy, published on 27 July 2020, aims to tackle childhood obesity and encourage adults to “take stock of how they live their lives”. The strategy includes plans to include calorie information on food from restaurants, cafes and takeaways, with a consultation also promised on calorie labelling on alcohol ...
https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/tackling-childhood-obesity-what-is-the-strategy/
Review use of BMI in diagnosis and treatment of eating disorders
petition
The use of BMI is an outdated measure of individuals. This petition is closed All petitions run for 6 months. 4,631 signatures. Show on a map. 10,000 Related activity Eating Disorders Awareness Week: parliamentary debate. MPs held a debate on Eating Disorders Awareness Week on Thursday 29 February in Westminster Hall. The debate was led by Wera ...
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/636412
(INQ0091) Public Health England – Supplementary written evidence
2.12 The proportion of women in England taking folic acid supplements before pregnancy fell from 35% in 1999-2001 to 31% in 2011.11. n, 28.2% of women took a folic acid supplement before pregnancy.1210 Annual Repo. t of the Chief Medical Offi. er, 2014 -The Health of the 51% Women. hief Medical Officer; 20151.
https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/656/pdf/
POSTnote 718 - researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk
pdf
POSTnote 718. cerOverviewNearly 1 in 2 people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer at some point i. their life. Almost 4 in 10 cases of cancer are currently considered to be preventable, being caused by known risk factors. as diet. More of the UK’s population than ever are living with overweigh.
https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/POST-PN-0718/POST-PN-0718.pdf
About 234000 results (page 1 of 11700)